Thursday, February 9, 2012

A beautiful week of my life.


I feel okay saying that my week has been fantastically busy. The only reason I’m really writing this now is that I have a spare 40 minutes and no internet connection in my room a million miles away from the router.  There’s no better time than this to document my week and I really do feel as though I need to, even just for my brain’s sake.  Writing it all down is my muggle pensive. 

First of all, I managed pretty much a full sober weekend at a great little place called Amplifier Bar. I say great  but g&ts are a complete rip at $9.50 and the floor is sticky and covered in glass by 9...what gets me in is the music. You can’t help but dance when the DJ dives into some of The Cure after dabbling in some Postal Service and then progressing into that song that you know you know from SOMEWHERE but just can’t think of the name. I was there and completely sober from 9pm until about 3am on both Friday and Saturday and I loved every sticky, sweaty minute.

Friday we just went along because Friday Amps is good fun with a lot of cute boys of the hipster variety scattered around. I’m usually too terrified to spark up a conversation with them but still, it’s nice to see them and know they exist. I hope they have kittens at home. Actually, I'm sure they do.

We went along again on Saturday because one of my favourite local bands Voltaire Twins was having a fundraiser supporting their trip to South by South West (SXSW) in a few weeks time.  I saw them live for the first time when I was completely gone at the uni end of semester show about 4 months ago. I bought their Romulus ep. They signed it. I had a proper listen to said ep and realised they were actually fantastic and it wasn’t my rose stained intoxi-lenses getting me excited over nothing.  So, I went to Fly-By Nightclub to properly watch them play as they supported The Joe Kings (another awesome local band. Have a looksies). It was a beautiful, Fremantle evening. They were wonderful again this week. I suggest you have a look:


If you do like them then I suggest you donate to their American tour page through the link below. You get some wicked stuff if you do and I can’t think of a lovelier group of people to give your spare change to.



For bands I love like Washington and The Grates, SXSW was the start for them. It’s all brilliantly exciting.

So...post amps weekend I gained many awesome pacman based stamp overlays (WINNING) and had a pretty spectacular time
As for Wednesday...
Now, if you’ve read my other two blogs (I know, I’m a prolific writer... ) you’ve probably gathered that I adore Amanda Palmer/The Dresden Dolls. One day I will probably go into detail of exactly why I think she is so incredible. Today is not that day. I bring this up because I went to a performance at The Perth Fringe Festival by a saucy minx proclaimed Meow Meow. It was a bit of a gamble as I’d only ever seen her on youtube covering The Dresden Dolls Song “Missed me”.  She’s a cabaret comedy but I don’t want to get into that because I think everyone should rock up to her gig as my friend and I did; completely oblivious to who and what she is. All I want to say is that she is one of the most spectacular and natural performers I have ever seen. Like, Liza Minnelli standard. For real. Her pianist Lance Horne was pretty great as well. You should have a look at both of their stuff.

That there is Meow Meow and AFP being ridiculous. The crowd participation is admirable. 

After the gig we bought cds. They signed said cds and my beautiful autograph book. I am falling more and more in love with those bound pages each time a person I admire writes in it. One day I might scan some pages on here, who knows. What really got me were Lance’s Amanda Palmer stories. Meow Meow and AFP are best of friends so there was bound to be some. They had coffee with her while she was deliberating dating Neil Gaiman and they attended her beautiful little wedding to him. The engagement and wedding I read so much about on her blog. Read it here if you haven't:
Seriously. Read it. 

They had actually experienced that and I was hearing stories from a first person source face-to-face. Fuck, I fan-girled so hard. I have no regrets. Both Lance Horne and Meow Meow were incredibly appreciative and friendly. Thank you to both. I never in my wildest dreams thought something like that would happen to me.

Lance Horne told me he doesn’t like The Little Prince. He even wrote a song about it.  He likes making puns about chemistry. He wrote a song about that too. Youtube it up bitches.

Yes, there was a carbon dating pun in there. So good.

I came home the next morning to find this masterpiece in the mail.

I then made myself a glass of deliciousness. Notice jealous kitty in the background...

Life is wonderful.

That’s all I really have time to say. I have a lot more to say. So much has happened. Didn't even mention going to the zoo. Shoot. For now this will do. I will become efficient and proficient at this blogging business at some point. I hope you are all having a fantastic February.

LOVE x

No comments:

Post a Comment