Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Melbourne: Day 1

Have a look below if your confused.
General gist: I went to Melbourne and now I'm talking about it.

I didn't sleep on the plane so I think I'll just transcribe what I wrote out of my sheer boredom.

25/04/12 1:45am
So, here I am on a plane to Melbourne. I've barely had time to think about the days ahead yet the fact that I'm going to be virtually alone in a city I barely know is both terrifying and exhilarating at the same time.

This was planned sleep time. I had it all sorted; 4 hours of erratic, underwhelming rest. This plan seems unlikely now however due to the fact my chair doesn't recline. I'm not doing it wrong or trying hard enough. It just doesn't work. Also, it seems as thought the seat in front of me has acquired all of my seat's recline ability. Feeling claustrophobic in my tiny little pod of existence.

 I don't think I can recall seeing a more beautiful view outside my window. stars span the sky like a think, glittering spider web. Looking p at them gives me a similar feeling to the the prospect of the next couple of days: so overwhelming but at the same time I feel wonderfully empowered. I embrace both the stars and my near future as someone would with anything they love. Amanda Palmer's cover of Creep is playing through my ears. All is good in this current miniature world. Possibly not ideal (I could be unconscious instead) but how could I complain? This flight cost me $100 and I am going on what feels like my first big adventure. I do not fear the mistakes I will inevitably make because of the stories they will create and the lessons I'll learn.

I feel free; uninhibited by the expectations of my own city. Fuck, it's a fantastic feeling.

***what follows is a song about a falling girl and and a drawing of a weird bird thing. I was really tired. Don't ask.***

I got in on Wednesday at 6am. It was 10 degrees centigrade and raining- very Melbourne it seems. The Tiger Airways baggage claim was a shed virtually open to the elements. It was a bit ridiculous but I can barely complain. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I chose to fly with them. Almost. I was also in Melbourne so no matter how tired or sore I was I didn't care. I was so excited.

After I finally figured out how to get to Yana's apartment we walked a very quiet Brunswick and Gertrude street as nothing is open on ANZAC Day morning. We did however look at a lot of churches and walk through Captain Cook's cabin. I felt very cultured.

Now for the part where I talk about why I was actually there. Finally. Kim Boekbinder's gig was the first time I had met pretty much everyone from the Amanda Palmer fan base over East. They are such an eclectic group of people with very different lives and occupations but are all supporting this same wonderful music. It's like a little family. They all adore music so much and more importantly, the people that create it. I feel incredibly honoured to now be included in such a wonderfully close group of people.

Now, for the night itself... I was expecting great things and I definitely got that. Brendan Maclean opened for the night. I had only heard one of his songs before the night and followed him on twitter because he is hilarious. He sang some truly beautiful songs which got me laughing and tearing up simultaneously. You know the shit's good when that happens.


Kim Boekbinder is so hard to explain. Impossible even. She is something that needs to be seen and heard to be believed or understood. But trust me: she was wonderful. She got down and danced with the crowd mid-song and gathered us all round her when she played her last song on the ukulele. She is a beautiful, utterly inspiring creature and I am so proud to be supporting her while she makes her next record. It is sounding phenomenal and I think I've almost fallen in love with her synth as much as she has. This is a song from her first solo record:


And this is where you can support her crowdfunding extravaganza! http://www.theimpossiblegirl.com/

Not only was the music amazing that night, there were almost as many musicians in the crowd that I admire tremendously as simply fans of Kims. It was fantastically surreal and special. They were all out there to support someone they love. I tried desperately not to fan-girl out over everyone. I did give Tom Dickins a hug though and stumble over a few words with Brendan regarding how beautiful ballet dancers from New Zealand are. Sigh. One day I will be less socially awkward. One day.

And then I was tired and went to bed. Like I am doing now.

LOVE x

No comments:

Post a Comment