Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Medley of Music News

Hello.
I am stuck in a fickle. I was going to write a blog this week...and then decided against it numerous times. I actually started typing, had almost finished and then deleted it all a few days ago. I'm going to attempt one now as my brain is to mushed to attempt to finish my lab report but there are too many thoughts in my head to allow sleep just yet so...here. bleurgh.

Firstly, I am terrified of my blog turning into too much of a self-absorbed, angst-ridden teenager's diary. I guess that's what it is...but shh, don't tell anyone. I want to write about things that have happened in my life for myself more than anything else, as I've said in previous blogs. It helps me truly appreciate and remember the good things that have happened and I always finish writing them feeling a buzz of achievement. Feelings consisting of:

YES. MY LIFE HAS MEANING. I DO THINGS AND THEY'RE REALLY FUCKING GREAT SOMETIMES.

Which is good. Thinking about good things is pleasant.

So first, I will talk about music.

There have been SO MANY gigs I have been to in the past few weeks that really deserve mentioning. I will at least tell mention Florence and the Machine. She is one spectacular woman.  Her unbelievable voice paired with her captivating stage presence made me literally cry with happiness. She spun and leapt around the stage, maintaining her vocals effortlessly. In contrast, her quaint mannerisms while speaking and humble appreciation of her audience was a beautiful thing to behold. This is a shitty photo from my phone for you. I only took two, I promise. I'm not one of 'those' people who has their phone up the entire night...



The things that I had against the evening were no fault of her own. Maybe I'm just getting old and sentimental but I really wish that musicians like Florence didn't play at the Burswood Dome. Yes, it's fucking enormous and the stage is ridiculously large and well supervised but the sound is shit. I don't know why. I should look into the physics of it...but something to do with the pressure in the dome makes the music sounds like it's being played really far away or in an outdoor venue. The atmosphere isn't right. I don't know. I will figure it out and have another massive whinge about it.

Big also means douche bags. You can never escape them and Florence's crowd was pretty full of them. Fucking Perth. One man actually pretended to be having an psychotic episode just so he could get a little way in front of me. The motherfucker was tall too. What an insensitive creep. Who does that?

BUT YES. Yay, Florence is beautiful but I'd really like it if next time she does a few smaller gigs at better venues.  They would still be able to have spectacular stage design in other places I'm sure. Belvoir? At least having to drive for a few hours to get there would sift out some of the massive douches. Sigh.

In other (but still music related) news, CROWD FUNDING IS GOING CRAZY RIGHT NOW. I plan to dedicate a blog to it soon as there are many very exciting things happening that I can properly articulate right now. Too tired. Too sick.

BUT.

HAVE A LOOK AT THESE:

Amanda Palmer KILLING IT on KICKSTARTER:
   


The beautiful Tom Dickins and OUR NEW ALBUM (yay!)




and none other than the BEN FOLDS FIVE people!
http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/benfoldsfive
It didn't have a cool widget on the site but I've given you the link above so GO LOOK! IT'S BEN FOLDS FIVE FOR FUCKSAKE!

I am so excited about all of these projects and seeing how they develop. THIS IS THE FUTURE OF MUSIC so you better go and see what it's going to be like.
Epic. That's what. No lowsy labels. No rules. Freedom.

LOVE x


No comments:

Post a Comment