Sunday, April 29, 2012

Melbourne: The Prelude

So, it has yet again been confirmed that I am atrocious at keeping any form of record of my life. Maybe it stems from years of me neglecting and despising the journal I had to write for ballet. I do have an excuse this time though!

Melbourne was far to busy to sit down for long enough to write even a page about what was happening. I met wonderful people, saw some old friends, went to amazing gigs every night and just generally spent time falling deeply in love with the city itself.

But first, I will tell you the reason why I went in the first place. Kim Boekbinder is a musician currently based in Melbourne where she is starting to create her second solo record. She is an unsigned artist and is currently running a site called MISSION CONTROL where fans can subscribe by donating a as little as $10 a month. There's a blog where she's releasing new music every couple of days along with her thoughts and news of her progress. There's also a forum where you can meet other subscribers who are obviously of similar musical tastes.
This is the MISSION CONTROL site: http://www.theimpossiblegirl.com/

Kim's a wonderful person and a spectacularly interesting artist so go check her out. You will not regret, I can assure you.

The forum is where I met another girl from Perth who had already planned to go over to Melbourne to see Kim's last residency show. I was considering it but after that was just thought "oh, why the hell not!" and so I booked tickets that week! I decided that I would just stay with friends rather than book a hotel for myself so I could see a bit more of Melbourne, stay for a few more days and not be completely broke once I got home.

To start with I was just going to stay for a Kim's gig and then leave pretty much straight away. I realised however that if I did go over to see Kim I'd miss Lawrence Greenwood (aka Whitley) and An Horse. Dilemma! I ended up booking a flight getting in Wednesday morning and leaving on the Sunday afternoon. I've never been on a holiday by myself like this so I was nervous but overwhelmingly excited.

More to come if you'd like to listen. I promise the story will get a little more exciting.

LOVE x


No comments:

Post a Comment